Happy Friday, Forth community! It's time for our weekly 4xForth blog and today we're featuring Jen Mayer of Honey Butter Fried Chicken. Just typing that name makes me want to drop everything and get some delicious chicken with mac n'cheese. Who's with me?
We first met Jen at our Fall Salon hosted at Workshop Chicago and within minutes, connections were made amongst the group. "You're a partner for Honey Butter Fried Chicken? I love that place!" In 2013, Honey Butter Fried Chicken was created due of the overwhelming popularity of the fried chicken dinner option offered by The Sunday Dinner Club. Sunday Dinner Club is an intimate, referral-only, dinner club hosted 5-10 times per month with a delectable three to five plated course meal, which Jen is also involved with. We absolutely love Honey Butter's mission to support local farmers and countrymen with their midwest-based vendor community. We also really love their food!
Today, Jen is sharing some of her fun favorites -- her go-to Chicago bites, cookbook recommendations, places she likes to visit and what she's looking forward to this winter and holiday season.
Favorite places to visit outside the city/day trips from Chicago:
- The Kohler Waters Spa at The American Club (Kohler, Wisconsin)
- The Hamilton Wood Type Museum (Two Rivers, Wisconsin)
- New Glarus, Wisconsin
- Ann Arbor, Michigan – Zingerman’s!
- Honey Butter Fried Chicken: Shameless self promotion!
- Fat Rice: I love everything I eat there, but my favorite is the Portuguese Chicken and they have an especially great wine list, too.
- Big Star: I love sitting in the glass atrium on a snowy winter night, while drinking a decidedly summery Big Star margarita.
- Tiny Lounge: Specifically, the cheese curds.
- Reading in front of the fireplace.
- Visiting the Holiday Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute.
- Eating duck dinner at Sun Wah on Christmas Eve.
- Celebrating my husband’s 40th Birthday on New Years Eve.
- Twelve Recipes by Cal Peternell
- The Little Book of Lunch by Caroline Craig
- Prune by Gabrielle Hamilton
- Thug Kitchen by Anonymous
Thanks for sharing, Jen! I'm always on the hunt for fun, new cookbooks and your excellent recommendations will definitely be on my Amazon holiday wish-list. For anyone who hasn't visited Honey Butter, you should go. Soon! I highly recommend the 'La Louisianne' sandwich, roasted garlic grits, and the mac n' cheese. Mmmm, mac n' cheese.
Cheers to your holiday season, Jen, full of fireplace dwelling, delicious food and family celebrations. It sounds like it's going to be a great one!